Spraying on Injured Knee

Find A Pain Relief Spray That Fits Your Budget

As you get older, you’re going to notice that some of your joints, like ankles, elbows, and knees, for example, are going to feel worn and achy. Pain in your joints or muscles isn't just reserved for an aging body, though. People of all ages experience the pain of some type. Young folk may have aches and pains due to a rigorous exercise regime or pulling a muscle while playing sports. Older folk may have arthritis and need relief.

Then, you have instances of getting bitten by bugs or getting a minor injury where you have swelling. It doesn’t matter how old you are, a pain relief spray can be exactly what you need to help you continue about your day without too much, if any, pain.

Man Holding For Backs

As you continue reading this article, we are going to explain what, exactly, a pain relief spray is and what it does. We will also go over the benefits of using one of these sprays, the typical active ingredients you can find in them, in they are safe to use, and the cautions you’ll want to keep in mind.

Then, we will talk about some of the best products at two different price points, products that cost less than $20 and products that cost more than $20. This way you’ll be able to choose the product that may work the best for your specific needs, but also fits into your budget.

What Is A Pain Relief Spray

A pain relief spray is a product that can be used when you have an ache, pain, cramp, or even an irritation. Unlike products that you take by mouth, these topical products are applied directly to the area where you have pain. Your skin absorbs the active ingredients that will reduce inflammation, relieve pain, reduce any swelling, and ultimately give you some relief.

Pain Relief Spray Spraying on Foot

A pain relief spray is usually given or prescribed to treat slight muscular pain or inflammation. There have been several research trials conducted that provide good evidence that these products work just as effectively as a pill to relieve the pain, but they don’t have nearly as many side effects.

The Benefit Of Using A Pain Relief Spray

For the past several years, people have turned to these sprays and other topical treatments with the hopes of instant pain relief. When you’re looking for the best spray for pain relief, you might be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of products available to choose from, and wonder if the products are even worth the frustration of trying to choose one! Well, to answer your quandary, yes. Topical pain relievers like a spray can help you!

Instead of reaching for a pill like aspirin or Tylenol, you may find it more beneficial to apply an analgesic spray for pain relief. One of the most notable being that with these sprays, you can apply the pain reliever directly to where it hurts to ease the pain, rather than taking a pill and waiting for it to take effect. Let’s not forget some of the side effects that can occur if you take oral pain relievers too frequently.

Man Holding For Painfull Knee

According to Dr. Sylvia Hesse, an orthopedic specialist from New York who believes in a holistic approach to medical care, when you take the over the counter medications and even follow the directions, you could incur some serious side effects like liver failure or worse, damage to your heart.

Because people are becoming more aware of the negative side effects of taking medicine like Ibuprofen or acetaminophen, they are choosing these pain relief sprays to help ease their pain symptoms.

Typical Ingredients Found In A Pain Relief Spray

So, if acetaminophen and ibuprofen are known to cause negative side effects to your body and people are choosing topical treatments because they don’t have those two ingredients in them, what are the active ingredients in your typical pain relief spray?

Lab Technician Holding Test Tube

Most pain relieving sprays will use these three primary ingredients:

  • Capsaicin – If you’re a foodie, then you’re probably familiar with what capsaicin is. It’s the compound you find in chili peppers that cause a burning sensation when it comes in contact with your skin. The capsaicin in these medications works to remove the chemical in your nerve cells that send pain signals to your brain. Sprays that use this ingredient are best used several times throughout the day, and can sometimes take a few weeks until you start feeling relief.
  • Salicylates – This ingredient is a pain-relieving substance that is commonly found in aspirin.
  • Counterirritants – These ingredients are compounds like menthol or camphor. They give the spray the cooling or heat sensations that inhibit your body’s ability to feel pain, albeit temporarily.

Are These Ingredients Safe To Use

When you use sprays that us capsaicin as an ingredient, you’re going to feel a burning or stinging sensation on the skin. This discomfort tends to decrease with daily use over a period of a week or two. It’s important that if the spray gets on your hands, you wash them thoroughly before you touch your face—especially your eyes.

Holding For Burning Feet

If you’re allergic to aspirin or if you are taking medication that thins the blood, you’ll want to check with your doctor before using a pain relieving spray that contains salicylates. Not to mention if you use too much of those sprays with this ingredient, it could be toxic.

We do not recommend using these products on open cuts or irritated skin. Also avoid using a heating pad, especially with capsaicin-based products, as it could make the burning sensation worse.

Cautions For Using Topical Pain Relievers

Although everyone will experience some type of pain at one point or another in their lifetime, not everyone is able to use these products. Those who have an allergy to the adhesive tape on pain relieving patches, for example, should avoid them. Much like those who have sensitivities to active ingredients in pain relievers you take orally, you should avoid them in a spray form as well.

Young Woman Holding Tissue

Let’s say you have had kidney failure or problems with your kidney in the past. You don’t want to use a cream or spray that have ibuprofen in it. Also, if you are highly sensitive to the capsaicin from chilis and other hot peppers, you’ll want to avoid sprays that use that as an ingredient.

The Best Pain Relief Sprays Under $20

*Note: Mobile users please scroll to the right.

Now that we understand the role a pain relief spray can play in managing your pain let’s look at some of the best sprays for pain relief under $20.

J.R. Watkins Natural Pain Relieving Liniment Spray 

If you’re looking for a spray that is going to give you quick relief due to sore muscles or arthritis pain, this spray is a good option. The product has 96.5% natural ingredients—the main ingredients being camphor and menthol. With the cooling effect of these ingredients, your sinuses will clear up, and you may even feel a bit peppier!

J.R. Watkins Natural Pain Relieving Liniment Spray on White Background

Of the people who have used this product, 95% have left 4 or 5-star reviews. The remaining 5% consist of 3-star and below reviews. Of these negative reviews, one person said they felt relief from the hot flashes, but not so much the pain that comes from their arthritis. Another reviewer shared that it wasn’t as strong as other products they have tried in the past.

Amazon Red Buy Now Button

Blue-Emu Continuous Pain Relief Spray 

This product offers you an odor-free pain relief spray that combines salicylate with emu oil. It is this unique blend that is able to give you relief from minor muscle aches and pains, joint pain caused from arthritis, strained, sprained and bruised muscles, as well as an occasional backache. When you spray the product onto the problem area, the active ingredient salicylate absorbs into the skin to ease the pain.

Blue-Emu Continuous Pain Relief Spray on White Background

Of the people who have used this product, 74% have left 4 or 5-star reviews. The remaining 26% consist of 3-star and below reviews. Of these negative reviews, consumers shared that the product, though it had no smell, it didn’t provide the pain relief that they had hoped. Some have said that the packaging made it difficult to reach the mid-back. Others have said the product was on the messy side.

Amazon Red Buy Now Button

Kool n Fit 8 Ounce Bottle 

This spray is designed with an athlete in mind, as it is intended to be an aid for training, during a competition, but also if you are in recovery after an injury. The product doesn’t require you to rub it into the skin to maximize the result, nor does it leave a residue. The active ingredients in this product are camphor and menthol.

Kool n Fit 8 Ounce Bottle on White Background

Of the people who have used this product, 89% have left 4 or 5-star reviews. The remaining 11% consist of 3-star and below reviews. Of these negative reviews, the common complaint is that the product goes on very cold and that could be uncomfortable for those who do not enjoy the feeling. Others have said there is a distinct smell of this product and people will notice it.

Amazon Red Buy Now Button

Seven Minerals Migraine And Headache Pain Relief Spray 

If you’re someone who suffers from frequent migraines and headaches, this product may be something worth testing. It is made of 100% natural ingredients and is devoid of artificial colors, preservatives, and unproven chemicals.

Seven Minerals Migraine And Headache Pain Relief Spray on White Background

The active organic ingredients in this product include magnesium oil, which stimulates blood circulation to reduce spasms caused by pain, peppermint, lavender, sweet marjoram, and rosemary essential oils. Simply spray the product onto your forehead, temples, and the back of your head for complete relief.

Of the people who have used this product, 86% have left 4 or 5-star reviews. The remaining 14% consist of 3-star and below reviews. Of these negative reviews, some reviewers said they didn’t feel any difference after applying the spray. One person said the spray irritated their skin and had to discontinue use.

Read Our Review Green Button
Amazon Red Buy Now Button

911 Pain Relief Spray

For over 25 years, this spray has been used in over 1,300 school districts, 500 cities, 500 companies, State and Federal Government Agencies. The product is designed to relieve pain caused by burns, irritation, swelling, itching, bug bites, and medical conditions like shingles, eczema, psoriasis and even athletes feet. The formulation of the product has been patented and doesn’t have an expiration date.

911 Pain Relief Spray on White Background

Of the people who have used this product, 100% have left 4 or 5-star reviews. That says a lot about the effectiveness of this pain relieving spray, wouldn’t you say?

Read Our Review Green Button
Amazon Red Buy Now Button

The Best Pain Relief Sprays Over $20

*Note: Mobile users please scroll to the right.

If you want a little more bang for your buck, we have compiled a list of products that relieves your pain and are priced over $20, but under $30.

Stopain Pain Relief Spray

This extra strength pain relieving spray provides you with a fast (but temporary) reprieve from pain caused by arthritis and everyday muscle or back pain. The active ingredients, menthol, glucosamine and dimethyl sulfone, have a proven history of being able to treat pain. The spray can be used to soothe your pain because it prevents your nerves from sending pain signals to the brain.

Stopain Pain Relief Spray on White Background

Of the people who have used this product, 100% have left 4 or 5-star reviews. If you want a product that has 100% customer satisfaction, the happy folks on Amazon all rave about this product and its ability to make their pain more manageable.

Amazon Red Buy Now Button

Eucalyptus Jack All Natural Pain Relief Spray

For those who are interested in using essential oils more in their lives, then this is a product that may appeal to you. Eucalyptus Jack’s spray uses eucalyptus for the pain relief component, grapeseed oil to penetrate into the skin, and aloe vera and jojoba to soothe the skin. After you apply the product to the area where you’re experiencing pain, once it has absorbed into the skin, not only will the pain be gone, but your skin will be moisturized and smell lovely.

Eucalyptus Jack All Natural Pain Relief Spray on White Background

A notable feature of this product is the lack of menthol, which can be a plus for those who aren’t fond of the cooling sensation associated with menthol.

Of the people who have used this product, 100% have left 4 or 5-star reviews. People were pleased by how fast the product absorbed into the skin, but also how moisturized the skin is after use. Several of the customers shared that they enjoyed the scent.

Amazon Red Buy Now Button

Premier’s Pain Relief Spray

If you suffer from arthritis and swollen joints, you may find immediate relief with this product. This herbal pain relief spray allows you to decrease your reliance to pain medications because it features a blend of purified menthol, wintergreen, peppermint and eucalyptus oils. It also features rich moisturizers to keep your skin from becoming irritated. Since the product does feature natural oils, you can use as much of the product necessary to relieve the pain.

Premier’s Pain Relief Spray on White Background

Of the people who have used this product, 90% have left 4 or 5-star reviews. The remaining 10% consist of 3-star and below reviews. Of these negative reviews, the reviewers said the product didn’t work for them. One person said they weren’t sure if it could have worked for them or not because they couldn’t use it. They were turned off by the strong menthol smell and they threw the product away.

Read Our Review Green Button
Amazon Red Buy Now Button

Therapain Plus 

If ever there was a reason to love a product, it may be that this one was created out of love. Dr. Swartzburg worked with Therapain to create Therapain Plus because his wife suffered from fibromyalgia. She tried the original formulation of Therapain, but it wasn’t strong enough to ease her pain.

Therapain Plus Bottle

With Therapain Plus, there is 14,000 mg of glucosamine and MSM—two ingredients commonly found in the top rated pain ease sprays. Another notable feature of this product is that it absorbs into the skin much quicker than other products, and it doesn’t leave a waxy or greasy feeling on the skin.

Of the people who have used this product, 88% have left 4 or 5-star reviews. The remaining 12% consist of 3-star and below reviews. Of these negative reviews, the most common complaint was that the spray’s pain relieving properties didn’t last very long, thus requiring them to reapply the spray several times throughout the day.

Another reviewer complained that there was something wrong with the packaging, which made the product not come through without making a mess.

Read Our Review Green Button
Amazon Red Buy Now Button

Biofreeze Pain Relief Spray

For a product that has the clinical backing of healthcare professionals around the country, then this is it. Professionals like chiropractors, physical and massage therapists and athletic trainers use this to give instant pain relief to their patients who are experiencing pain due to arthritis, muscle, and joint pain.

Biofreeze Pain Relief Spray Bottle on White Background

When the spray is applied to the skin, it penetrates quickly. This product uses menthol as its active ingredient and an herbal blend of camphor, aloe, burdock root, Boswellia, calendula, green tea, ilex, lemon balm, and vitamin E.

Of the people who have used this product, 92% have left 4 or 5-star reviews. The remaining 8% consist of 3-star and below reviews. Of these negative reviews, folks complained that the product they've received from Amazon wasn’t the same quality that they received from their doctor. This claim was made by a very small handful of people, so it is safe to say they didn’t purchase the product from Amazon directly, but from other sellers.

Read Our Review Green Button
Amazon Red Buy Now Button

Conclusion

Living in pain isn’t something anyone should have to endure, especially when there are products on the market that are designed to help relieve the symptoms caused by arthritis, muscle, and joint pain, among other ailments. Pain relief doesn’t have to cost an arm and leg, as we’ve shown you with this list of some of the top pain relieving sprays.

Bottle of 911 Relief Pain Spray

If you want a product that has an excellent, 100% reputation among its users, then you have three products to choose from, 911 Relief Multipurpose Pain Relief Spray, Eucalyptus Jack All Natural Pain Relief Spray, and Stopain Pain Relief Spray.

The 911 Relief spray has been used all around the country and can be found in numerous schools. We all know how prone children can be to getting hurt while in gym class or on the playground! Stopain Pain Relief Spray works much like 911, but the extra strength formula provides you with pain relief for hours after application.

For a holistic spray that doesn’t use menthol or other chemicals, Eucalyptus Jack All Natural Spray is your best bet. Not only does the spray alleviate joint and muscle pain, but it also moisturizes your skin in the process!

Senior Couple Walking on Beach

If you’re looking for a product that has been clinically used and recommended, Biofreeze is your product. If licensed physicians rely on this product to treat their patients, then there has to be something great about it, right?

When you are going to choose a product, remember always to consult with your doctor and follow the directions on the packaging.

Leave a Comment: